Sunday, August 16, 2015

Classmate highlight...


This gentleman's middle name should be "Director". I’m speaking about our classmate Peter Wright. Peter has left his imprint on New Jersey through his successful and highly respected municipal government career. This positive and friendly classmate is often remembered by his fellow Barrons as the Baron mascot, sharing that duty with fellow alum, Jimmy Petersen.

“Rich, it was fun to be our mascot, especially during our memorable undefeated senior football season. There was no clear guidelines, just show up and help keep the school enthusiasm going strong. I do remember both Jimmy and I climbing the field goal poles after one of the games.”

Today you will find Peter working hard as the Director of Recreation for Mendham Township, NJ.  He plans, implements and directs recreational and leisure activities for a community of 6,000  In addition, he oversees the operation of park development, marketing, and evaluation of services/programs offered.  Last but not least he coordinates efforts of the various civic and conservation groups in the restoration and upkeep of historic trail systems and award winning facilities. Peter graduated from James Madison University with a Bachelor of Science degree and along the way he obtained his Masters in Administration in 2000 from Fairleigh Dickinson University. In addition to his many awards of recognition Peter was awarded the Frederick C. Sutro Memorial Award in 2008. This highly respected award was presented to Peter by the New Jersey Recreation and Park Association recognizing his outstanding lifetime service the parks and recreation profession.

Peter is one of three children having lived in Jersey City til he arrived in Woodbridge his freshman year. During his time at WHS Peter was the captain of the cross country team. As with many others we have profiled, he is in agreement with them that his experience gained from the athletic experience was invaluable in rounding out his WHS education. Some of his best friends in high school were Dave Barnes and Charlotte Enik. On occasion he will run into Bennett Singer today. "Back in school I wish I weren't so damn shy with the girls. I did take Flo Hutchinson to the prom, I hope she is well. It would be nice if she attended the reunion but I am looking forward to seeing everyone. The last one I attended was our 20th so I know this will be a fun evening for me."

Today, Peter is a father of two and his beautiful lady of seven years, Karen, is also a WHS graduate from 1973. This summer they will be touring Tuscany, Austria and Switzerland. During Peter's free time you will find him on the golf links throughout the Garden State. Before kids my game was in the low 70's...once becoming a dad it changed to the 80's. Also Peter officiates at the local little league and soccer games.

Throughout my career I learned that great customer service creates customer loyalty. I have been blessed with my career handling various aspects of the Parks and Rec community. When I retired from Bernard Twp as their Director of Parks, Rec, Community Pool and Golf I touched when they decided to honor my efforts by naming their new water playground "Pete's Puddle". To drive by it almost daily I am still reminded of those wonderful people I had the pleasure of working with for so many years. I am lucky man.

Pete, I happen to think those of your former classmates that get steal a few minutes of you and Karen’s time at the reunion will be the lucky ones.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment