Sunday, August 16, 2015

Classmate highlight...

She has all the DNA of a "Jersey Girl". Brash, opinionated, honest and best of all...a kind heart. Cindy Hathaway/Prokop is her name and although she resides in Utah she will always consider Fords as home. This hard shelled, soft centered friend of mine allowed me to profile her as our last alumni to be featured on our final WHS blog update.

Cindy and her husband Jerry,of forty four years, moved to Utah twenty five years ago due to his employment with Chevron. Today she is extremely happy to have her two daughters, Sandi and Lisa, living nearby along with their five grandchildren. When asked, Cindy replied. "Rich, my life is purposely centered around family and being a grandma. Experiencing the love from grandchildren is the absolute best thing in life. In fact, I can't wait til October when I become a great grandmother. Life is good, actually, I have been blessed with my family all along this journey."

Today Mr. and Mrs. Prokop can finally set aside time for themselves. Jerry can be found on the golf course while Cindy enjoys her bicycle riding and daily exercise routines. Both of them can always be counted on to be on the sidelines cheering on their grand kids at their games. In addition, Cindy is an avid reader...no Kindle for this "old school" girl.

I asked Cindy if there was any experience from high school that her classmates may not know about her and she laughed. "Rich, I guess at this point in time I can share the "Art of the Deal". Cindy went on to explain... "I had one class and instructor that I sincerely despised, Mr. Koury. I made a point of being disruptive on a daily basis. I tested his patience with my constant joking around and annoyance. It was no secret to my fellow classmates that I thought he was the meanest instructors to walk the hallways of WHS. One day in the middle of the class he stopped his instruction and called out "Hathaway, come with me". He took me out to the hallway and I was petrified. I stood there with my back to the lockers when to my total shock he began to speak to me softly. He said to me. I want to make a deal with you. I just spoke with Mrs. Barney (steno/typing instructor) and she told me that you are without a doubt the best typist in the building. Here's the deal that can NOT be repeated to anyone. I am applying for another position and need my resume to be typed. If you agree to handle that, not tell a soul along with turning in your homework AND shut up in class I will assure you of a passing grade for the rest of the year. A deal?...a deal!" Cindy will tell you that she not only handled her end of the deal but she grew to respect him, changed her ways in his class and graduated considering him to be one of her favorite instructors along the way.

When asked about her WHS girlfriends she mentioned several and added one or two descriptive words for each. Pat Navalany: fun and trustworthy, Patsy Ann Korbel: quiet and kind, Pat Dillon: neighbor and dear friend, Marie Zelinak: funny, outgoing and one very strong woman.

Not having a desire to attend college Cindy concentrated on the WHS business courses. "Mrs. Barney was instrumental in shaping my career direction." In her sophomore year Cindy was handling part time secretarial duties for a law firm with fellow classmate, Sally Lund. Eventually that law environment helped lead Cindy to become a paralegal in 1990 and a legal secretary for the Legal Aid Society in Salt Lake City. Her love of research began with the legal aid society and continues today with her tireless research involving our WHS alumni data base.

Looking back Cindy has very few WHS regrets. She wishes she was more involved in the school events. This girl from Fords loved her summer beach time at Seaside Park. Her return in September to the Garden State will center around time with her sister, the reunion and of course, Seaside Park. "I'm looking forward to asking our reunion DJ if he'll be able to work in my laundry list of song choices by Billy Joel. Music in my world begins and ends with Billy Joel. Anyone that has a problem with that please take it up with my fellow Joel fan, Dougie Diem". We spoke of her first car being a 1962 Chevy, first school crush was Kevin Short in 8th grade followed by her first kiss in 8th grade with Mark Mandelberg. When asked to share her first "romantic heartbreak" her reply was "never experienced one".

Having gotten to know Cindy by working together on the blog I am honestly impressed with how unselfish this girl is with her time. She is heavily involved with the Utah Food Bank. She best describes her time with the Food Bank as a humbling experience that would keep anyone grounded when you realize you play a small role in helping those less fortunate. In addition, she and Jerry volunteer for MDS's yearly fundraiser at the local Boy Scout camp by painting cabins and tree trimming. Last but not least, you can find her morning and afternoon's serving as a school crossing guard.

For those of you that know Cindy through Facebook we see the direct side of her when it comes to Washington politics, especially her disdain for Mitt Romney. In closing, let me share with you the soft centered side of this girl that makes her special. After gathering material for her blog profile I said, let me ask you a personal question: "Why do you put this extra effort into family and volunteering for others?" Cindy explained to me that she came to a point in her life that she needed to step back and view how she was spending her God given life. "I don't often speak about this Rich but years ago I lost my brother...he was murdered and to this day it's still an unsolved homicide. I had a choice to go forward being bitter and angry. I refused to allow that to steal from my life and the happiness I was afforded by my loved ones and friends. For me, I draw happiness from digging in my heels and simply helping out others whenever possible. Trust me Rich...it's not one sided, I too draw from it as well."

In a few weeks many of you will gather at our reunion. This bigger than life young lady will be front row center in the mix...do yourself a favor, grab a hug from her. In fact, please do me a favor...give her one from me as well, she's good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment