Monday, February 23, 2015

Classmate spotlight...

Twelve years ago Tony and Theresa Russomanno made a time share investment on a property located at 161st Street, Bronx, NY. They proudly brag of having the best lawn in the neighborhood. More about this later...

Tony recently sat down with us to share life since those WHS days when we shared a classroom with this personable gentleman. Tony considers himself to be very blessed since wearing number 53 in the role of linebacker for our unforgettable undefeated Barrons football team. Although his WHS sports memories are cherished they take a back seat in importance to the love of his life, beautiful Theresa, who fortunately said yes to his marriage proposal thirty two years ago. Along the way, they were blessed with their only child, Toni Lyn.

Today Tony's typical work day is filled with the responsibilities associated with being a project supervisor on the construction site. Prior to that Tony proudly swung a hammer and belonged to the carpenter's union for 32 years. Most projects involve the banking industry and they service the Tri-State area. In conversation about how his work has impacted his life throughout his career Tony quietly shared with me about a prolonged renovation that eventually wrapped up on August 29, 2001. At first I thought it odd that he would recall that date with certainty. It's actually understandable why he would remember it because the job site he finished was on the forty seventh floor of the South Tower in the World Trade Center...we all know how less than two weeks later how the world has changed. He spoke of how he too changed with an enhanced urge to embrace his personal life and those loved ones he held close.

When you ask about his beautiful daughter, Toni Lyn, you can hear the excitement in his voice as he speaks. "I'm very proud of my daughter, in many ways she is my very best friend...we do so much together, she embraced sports growing up and we now love attending Yankee games together. I'm old school having fond memories of Rizzoto and Berra...and for Toni Lyn it's all about Mr. Jeter.  Remember the time share I mentioned earlier? I was alluding to Tony, Theresa and Toni Lyn's decision to purchase Yankee season seats twelve years ago. They are correct about having the best lawn in the neighborhood, perhaps having to drive to Flushing to find one equal. It would be difficult to find a more loyal Yankees fan, other than our fellow alum Ray Chico Ruiz, than Tony and Toni Lyn. Hmm...check that, add one more. That would be "Frankie". Frankie happens to be Toni Lyn's one year old son. If would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to describe the love between this grandpa and grandson...the photos speak for themselves. Frankie is approaching his second birthday. The theme for the party you may ask? "2" can only mean Derek Jeter in this family.

When free time is available and the Yankees are out of town you may find Tony on either the golf course or enjoying the Atlantic City crap tables.


I asked Tony what comes to mind when I say "1970". He thought for a moment and said: Undefeated football season, my first car a '61 Bel Air that Dad bought for $200, my friends Jimmy Russo, Larry Cataldo and Lee Slicner to mention a few. It was a time of transition for all of us in many ways, leaving the security of school, cultural collisions and world unrest. I also think of one teacher in particular that I learned so much from, James Smelas. He had a gift of teaching that we were all the beneficiaries of. Another teacher was Dick Miglecz, our Driver's Ed instructor but for me he was also one of our football coaches. It was what we learned about life from him as a coach I will never forget.

Tony is looking forward to our reunion in the Fall. "Rich, our last reunion was terrific". I enjoyed not only meeting up with some of my old friends but in the end it was the new friends I gained from the weekend experience. I encourage all of my former classmate to please make the effort to attend. Simply put, it's a special evening

We thank #53 for his time and wish his entire family well. See you in the Fall.

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice learning about your classmates, especially that they are happy and enjoying life. Tony was always such a great guy. Wonderful job Rich!

    ReplyDelete