Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Classmate spotlight...


How many people do you know actually sat in the courtroom to witness the Charlie Manson trial? The answer is one: Nancey Ryder-Cunningham. She was a free spirit turned refreshed spirit with a larger than life story in between.
Nancey stood out from most classmates because of her anti-establishment, anti-war ways during high school. It was not an easy tie dyed route for this young lady to take. She was ridiculed but she stood her ground. She was looking for a purpose, a direction and she unfortunately thought drugs and alcohol would provide it. She would rely on them as a crutch for many years until she eventually discovered sobriety 36 years ago. "My high school experience was lost on me, I chose other priorities unfortunately. Soon after graduation my boyfriend at the time and I headed west to California...Berkeley of course! Also we settled in for a while in Los Angeles and when out of curiosity, not support of Manson and crew, did we attend the trial one day."
"My stay on the West Coast was short lived when I was informed that I had a job back in Woobdridge at the library. For seven years at the library I hid my addictions from eight to five...eight hours of each day I held it together. Not until my boyfriend at the time was ordered to attend AA meetings did I attend them with the intent to support him. Unfortunately for him it didn't help him, but for me it opened a door once locked. That was the beginning of my refreshed spirit. I slowly learned to be an adult for the first time in my life. I made valuable friends through the program. I realized that all the abuses I subjected myself to were not a fix to my problems. I learned that it was actually possible to plan a future, set a responsible game plan for my life going forward. It gave me hope and if you haven't traveled the rough roads I subjected myself to you wouldn't fully understand the importance of "hope" I now embraced."
Nancey's library experience took hold and today she is proud to share she is the chief of collections manager at the George F. Smith library under the umbrella of Rutgers University.
In speaking with Nancey I was taken by her demeanor in easily sharing her life story. She spoke of it with a smile, a dose of humor and with a tone of gratitude that the rough seas are in her past. "I am who I am and I have learned much because of poor choices. Today is all about going forward and living life to the fullest with her husband of 29 years, Tom Cunningham. No children but we are raising two Pomeranians and three cats. First question I asked Nancey was why the "e" in Nancey? She simply added it early on in school and it stuck..except for the yearbook editors.
"I often reflect back on high school and the true friendships I was blessed with in Bruce Van Bramer, Cindy Tune, Robin and Michael Chanin to mention a few. I love music and yes you guessed it, rock from the 70's. Although I will readily admit the rock takes a back seat to Bruce Springsteen.
Today Tom tends to his vegetable garden while Nancey oversees her impressive flower garden. Name it and I'll bet I have it in my garden. I love my flower garden."
 After speaking with Nancey, learning about her life then and now I sat back in my chair and took a deep breath and said to myself..."I admire this woman". I have a strong feeling anyone that is considered a friend by Nancey is one fortunate soul.

2 comments:

  1. I remember meeting Nancy when I was a paperboy and all my customers were in Kensington Gardens. I knew they weren't my competition cause they were delivering the NY Times and I had the Star Ledger/ Home News and News Tribune accounts. Never forget the cool VW bus they had and she and her boyfriend at the time were always friendly to me...Peaceout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember meeting Nancy when we were both delivering papers in Kensington Gardens.She and her boyfriend had a really cool VW van. I had a shopping cart stolen from the A&P. I only saw them on Sunday's. I felt no threat cause I had the Star Ledger, Home News and New Tribune accounts at the time. I remember they were very kind to me even 43 years later.She is a beautiful person who I will never forget...

    ReplyDelete