Thursday, February 24, 2011

Richie got his "way"...


From Smeathers to Sambora...what we knew as Smeathers St., that short little street leading down into the high school, was renamed Richie Sambora Way in honor of the 1977 WHS graduate.

Bon Jovi's guitarist was honored sixteen months ago for his efforts for his hometown. The city honored him for his recent fundraising program “You Can Go Home,” which helped local student Kelly Mahon who suffered from a brain tumor in her senior year.

"The people I met in high school, my classmates, my teammates and coaches, really helped me build a lot of the base for success that we have formed as a band with Bon Jovi. And, if I can do these things to help give back to those kids, and one special kid in Kelly Mahon, it's the least that I can do," said Sambora

At the dedication ceremony, Sambora urged students to use the road "in good health my friends, and win, win, win, win, win." The Bon Jovi guitarist also donated a new weight-lifting room to our alma mater in his late father's name.

"Who Says You Can't Go Home," and do something good?

No comments:

Post a Comment